Brauneck Mountain, where hikers and skiers meet! It’s a beautiful hike, but not a solitary one.
If you’re a hiker seeking solace, not skiers, as I am, the Brauneck, located near Lenggries, should not be your first choice for a hike.
Where is Brauneck Mountain?
Brauneck mountain is located just outside of Lenggries, Bavaria. The mountain is popular with locals for skiing and paragliding. We visited Brauneck mountain from Munich via train and connecting bus. It is convenient enough to spend the day.
The top of the Brauneck mountain offers magnificent views. Don’t worry if your not much of a hiker or can’t hike to the top. There is a gondola that you can take to the top to enjoy the views.
Related Reading: 5 Tips for Hiking in the Black Forest, Germany
Hiking Brauneck Mountain
Most of the hike takes place on a ski hill with only brief interludes onto what I consider a real hiking trail. I grumbled my way up most of the mountain, and admittedly even more as skiers whizzed by me.
But as I came closer and closer to the summit, and the view over the Alps opened up, I became happier.
Even more so when I reached the Brauneckhaus. We continued on to the summit, but we stopped here on the way back for a snack and to enjoy the view over the Alps, which was pretty incredible.
There’s never a dull moment on the Brauneck. If skiers are not racing past you, then paragliders are soaring over you.
With a gondola whisking visitors near the summit, the mountain is a popular take-off spot for paragliders and hangliders, when the conditions are just right. It makes for good entertainment while hiking or enjoying lunch.
Related Reading: Top 24 Best Castles in Germany to Visit
In summer, it would be free of skiers, but hiking up a ski slope, even without skiers, still isn’t very inspiring.
But as always, even a so-so day in the mountains is better than a good day in the city in my opinion. Besides, my partner was excited to test out his new North Face The North Face Stratos Jacket from Millets, an outdoor store that has both online and in-store options in the UK.
Not only is it rain and windproof, but it’s also really comfortable and you don’t sweat it in as you do in a lot of rain-proof gear. I’m totally stealing it when I do Everest Base Camp next week!
Related Reading: Neuschwanstein: How to Make the Most of Your Visit
Know Before You Hike Brauneck Mountain:
- The hike takes ~ 4 hours ( 2 1/2 hours to get up and 1:30 to go down). The elevation gain is 840 m.
- The hike starts at the Talstation der Brauneck Seilbahn (Brauneck Gondola Parking Lot), located just outside of Lenggries, just over 60km from Munich.
- It’s also possible to reach close to the summit with the gondola, so you can still enjoy the gorgeous views even if you’re not able to hike up.
- In addition to the Brauneckhaus, a typical Bavarian hut, there’s also a fancier panoramic restaurant near the top.
- It’s also possible to reach the start of the hike/ski hill with public transportation. Take the Bayerische Oberlandbahn (BOB train) from Munich to Lenggries, then the ski bus from the train station to the parking lot. There’s also a local bus when the ski bus isn’t running.
- In addition to hiking, the mountain offers a variety of other activities, which you can see here.
- If you’re looking for a hike where the trail itself that is more enjoyable I highly recommend Höllentalklamm (open in late spring-fall only), Schachenhaus, King Ludwig II’s Hunting Castle, Partnacklamm, Heimgarten to Herzogstand, the Jochberg or the easy Hoher Kranzberg, all located in the Bavarian Alps.
Where to Stay Near Brauneck Mountain
Landgasthof zum Papyrer is located in Lenggries and offers comfortable rooms and free wifi. the hotel has a garden with a terrace as well as a bar and restaurant. Enjoy a daily breakfast. It has a great location for exploring all the activities of the area.
Arabella Brauneck Hotel is perfectly located to explore Brauneck Mountain. The hotel offers a Finnish sauna, a bio sauna, and rooms with balconies with mountain views. There is a restaurant on site that serves great cuisine as well as a beer garden. The beer garden is open during summer.